I recently read an article in Human Resource Executive magazine about a little company based in Los Angeles that provided a 24/7 beer refrigerator to its employees. Are you kidding me? I’ll admit I don’t throw them back like I used to so access to a refrigerator full of Milwaukee’s Best isn’t as enticing as once it may have been. But as a job candidate the availability speaks volumes about the company’s trust in its employees and their efforts to foster an environment of shall I say, “coolness.”
Another company cultivating perks installed showers at work once they realized a good number of their employees cycled to work. Now I don’t really want to take a morning shower with Bruce in accounting but again this is a great reflection of a company that obviously cares about their employees.
So as the war for attracting and retaining top talent continues to heat up, I’m providing you with a list of top perks aside from the usual benefits that I think will help you attract even the greatest superstars.
- Dunk Day! – Rent a dunking booth for the company picnic. Who wouldn’t love to dunk their boss a few times? What boss wouldn’t love to dunk his/her subordinate a few times? I’m serious, this would be big!
- Work on anything you want day – Give your employees, especially the technology geeks, one day to work on anything they want. You’ll be amazed at what they develop. How about a warp drive, flux capacitor or those freaky teleportation pods from The Fly.
- Allow for inspiration – Let your employees hang up posters of people or things that inspire them such as Steve Jobs, Einstein, Yo Yo Ma or even Olivia Wilde in a bikini. Hey if your employees are going to attract a woman like that they need to move up the ladder quickly and that means they are working hard for you!
- Gym memberships – Many won’t take advantage of this but those with the rusty Nordic tracks and thigh masters in their garage will be all over it.
- Keys – Keys to locked doors whether it be the office, a private bathroom or even a stock closet make employees feel important. Give them a set of keys and see them glow.
- Stress busters – Hang a heavy punching bag in the office and let your employees go to town to blow off steam!
- A refrigerator full of Jack Daniels – You’re right this is a bad idea. Let’s stick with the fridge full of Old Milwaukee for now but still if they pulled it off in the 60’s, Mad Men style, then why not now? Oh right, drunk driving. Let’s stick with Vitamin water then.
- Allow pets at work – Now this is a real benefit I read about that I could use so I don’t feel bad about leaving my dog in the 110 degree heat!
What would you like to see at work in the way of employee perks; concert tickets, company car, hammocks for napping, back massages? Let me know.